Saturday, August 6, 2011

Thought for the week of May 16th 2011

In the last couple of years I have been going through the discernment process for my calling to serve God. One of the most interesting parts of going through the discernment process has been to really focus on my calling to determine which piece of the many available ministries I am best suited. One of the many people that are helping me in my journey suggested that I write down all of the things I feel I must accomplish, rate them in order of priority, then assign a "joy" rating for each one. How much joy do I get from each of the responsibilities I have, and how important that responsibility is to reach my ultimate goal to become a perfect representative of God's love to everyone I come in contact with at all times, and to always do God's will.

One of the first things I came to understand during this period of rapid spiritual growth was that the more I get out of the way, and God comes through me, the more joy I experience.

I had a friend call to visit not too long ago. She told me that she was finally where she thought she wanted to be. She was making a six figure income, had a nice home, a nice car, "life" was good. She went on to say that she was not happy, and that she was frustrated that her life was not fulfilling. She said she thinks that she should be happy, but she has no joy, and she is considering quitting her job, and moving to the mountains to sell rocks in a rock shop somewhere. She is doing environmental remediation as a hydrologist, and knows her work is important, but something is missing.
I hadn't spoken to this young woman in seven years, but it was like she was expressing to me exactly where I was six years ago.

The world tells us that in order to experience joy, we have to have the latest vehicle, the latest clothes, makeup, TV, workout program, food, and beverage, vacation, credit card, toy, or the latest prescription chemicals that will make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and make aging a pleasure.

I contend that Joy is not that complicated, nor does it require spending money, and acquiring things. For me, the purest joy I receive comes from when I give of myself. It's better to give than to receive etc. I have learned that giving something as simple as my presence can bring joy. Doing something nice for someone, holding a door open, offering to carry a heavy load, a smile, delivering a meal, visiting someone in the hospital or care center, a kind word of understanding or encouragement, a hug, a pat on the back, and not expecting anything in return has given me more joy in my life than all of the things I have ever owned.

It's easy to do, there are opportunities available all the time, and the best thing about it, there is no cost involved, and very little effort, other than letting go of whatever negativity or fears, you are holding on to, and letting God shine through.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit"
~Romans 15:13

And my favorite reminder of how to live.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."
~Galatians 5:22-23


May you find joy and peace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment