I recently completed "What God Wants" by Walsch as some light reading to break up the Brueggamman and other heavier works that I am working through. I enjoyed the first three books of Walsch's that introduced me to his writing. The series, "Conversations With God" were a different take on who God is, and even though I assume there was heavy use of allegory in the writings, the overall points were well laid out, and convincingly presented. I had a hard time finding the same value in most of "What God Wants".
Walsch makes the assumption repeatedly that most if not all religion is guilt and shame based, which I believe is wrong. There are a lot of organizations that profess Christ as their example, then do everything to prove they are not a Christ centered organization. Three fourths of the book is spent condemning how people have "what God wants" all wrong, even referencing the Holy Crusades. The last part of the book discusses the Unitarian position that we are all part of God and have the responsibility to think and act accordingly. I do agree that each one of us affects the world we live in by what we do and how we act every day. I agree that one act of kindness can ripple through those in our sphere of influence. I'm just having a difficult time wrapping my head around his position that all of His creation is God. It's a huge paradigm shift to move from God as a separated Deity, to one of God as everything everywhere.. I'm going to have to process this one for a while. If you choose to read this one... go ahead and scan through the first half, and enjoy the last.
No comments:
Post a Comment