Saturday, August 6, 2011

Thought for the Week of April 26th 2011

Have you ever been skydiving and run into a bird? Me neither, what are the odds??

I have however dropped my keys when trying to get on my way somewhere, in fact I did that last week.

I really don't believe in coincidences, but I still felt a sense of frustration at my clumsiness, and chastised myself as usual. A thought occurred to me, that has taken up residence in my mind. Why feel frustrated, it's over and done, and frustration is a negative emotion that has no value for my life goals. The old adage "don't cry over spilled milk" comes to mind. There are no new lessons to be learned, things happen, that we can't control, and why could it not be something positive. I was able to find my keys in the first place, so that is a positive. :-)

I recently completed the psychological evaluation as part of the ordination process to become a pastor in the United Methodist Church. At the end of the lengthy, and stressful process of evaluation, the psychiatrist asked me what I thought I needed to work on, or be better with, to become the minister that I want to become. The first answer that came to mind was to stop being so self-critical. She told me that was a common one among those that have answered the call to ministry, which to me was surprising. She went on to say that by being overly self critical, one can miss out on the fruits of their labor, in the joy, peace, or comfort that their words, presence, and kind look or touch may have given someone.
I need to stop second guessing God's grace, and plan, and know that He is in control. I know that, I just have to remember to put it into practice, all the time.

The day last week that I dropped my keys, I left the church, and headed towards home. I got to a stop sign at the end of the block in time to see a young man in a dilapidated car talking on the phone, and speeding down the one way street I was about to cross, going the wrong direction. Had I not dropped my keys, it is very possible, that I would have not looked for someone going the wrong way down the one way street, and pulled out in front of him, causing a serious collision.

Don't fret over what we normally see as small hiccups, setbacks, and apparent frustrations we come across in our daily activities, a minor delay could possibly save a life. Trust in God, and walk with Him always.

~Psalm 33:10 "God takes the wind out of Babel pretense, he shoots down the world's power-schemes. God's plan for the world stands up, all his designs are made to last. Blessed is the country with God for God; blessed are the people he's put in his will."       From The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment