My Grandmother turns 97 on the 16th. She's lived a rich and fruitful life, and has touched many with her selfless approach to living life to the fullest, while always looking for ways to make other peoples life a little better, or a little easier.
I don't remember a time that my grandmother wasn't "looking after" someone that was unable to really take care of themselves. To this day, even though her body is failing, she still manages to call and "look after" other people.
She grew up on a cotton farm not too far from Altus Oklahoma, which is sometimes tied for the record high temperature during the Summer. "Nanaw", as she was called by her many adoring grand, and great-grandchildren was what some people called the "Perfect Grandmother". She even looked the part, was sweet, always kind and caring, as well as a wonderful cook. People still share her chocolate sheet cake recipe as Nanaw's Sheet Cake.
I got to know my grandmother as an adult when I moved to OKC in '08. I saw a side of her that I did not know existed. Come to find out, my "Nanaw" can be a little saucy. I was complaining about gaining weight since I'd been staying with them, and she looked at me abruptly, and said "WELL QUIT EATING".. I was shocked that my sweet Grandma had a hard edge to her that I had never seen until that moment in time. Turns out that she is human after all. It still doesn't change the fact that she has given of herself to people all of her life, and has been a rock of steadfast love and a perfect example of trusting in Christ with all of her heart. She's lost a sibling, children, and grandchildren, and seen some pretty horrible tragedy in her life. She was raised Southern Baptist, and I remember each time that she asked me "Honey, do you know the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal savior" That question always left me a little unsettled wondering if I had done something that caused her to question my faith, but I realized later that she felt it her duty to make sure I wasn't going to hell. She was "looking after" my soul.
Say a prayer please for my Grandmother "Nanaw" as we celebrate 97 years of life on August 16th.
Do you have someone in your life that has always "looked after" you? Are you "looking after" someone now?
God's greatest command is to love one another. Thank someone who has been there for you in a special way.
There are a lot of avenues to act according to God's command, and there are a lot of people at St. Luke's that can help you find a way to use your talents and gifts.
Movie Night This Saturday at the Warren Theatre Balcony.
RSVP to me if you would like to join us!!!!
Saturday the 27th we will meet at Skyline Urban Ministry to assist with worship and feeding the homeless.
This invitation is open to the whole church. There will be some members from the Cornerstone Sunday School Class attending as well. This is NOT a singles only event. Contact Susan Koopman if you have any questions.
August 27th St. Charles Boromeo will be hosting Al's Singles Dance. More details to come!!
Check out all of the upcoming events at St. Luke's
Fall Kick Off is coming Sept. 11th
Elvis will be in the building.
No comments:
Post a Comment