As part of the Seminary "Course of Study" that I am taking, we have been required to write a paper on the two creation stories in Genesis. I have to admit, I didn't know there were two separate creation stories in Genesis, but after I re-read the first two verses, I realized that there were indeed two distinctly different stories of the creation. I began to wonder again, how some theology can be so diverse, and then it hit me that each person reads, and takes in information from a perspective that is unique to them depending on their circumstances, and current reality.
Everyone is a theologian in one way or another. Some let their understanding and study stay where it is, and have become comfortable with it, just as it is, with no desire to challenge themselves or what they believe. And instead of considering new information, would rather defend their beliefs as ultimately correct, and any deviation to be invalid, no matter what new information or understanding might be made available.
When I've invited people to come to church, I've been told by some, that they have a good relationship with God, and don't need church because of this or that reason. Usually it has something to do with hypocrisy, or some perceived slight, or not feeling that they fit in with "church".
Some are critical of church because of their perception of church, and feel like the church should be more this, or more that.
My thought is that you are responsible for your relationship with God, and church should only be a part of your spiritual life. The church is a resource for your spiritual formation and journey, not the culmination and final product. Yes the church is full of sinners, which is as it should be, but the difference is that those sinners that fill the pews on Sunday, or those that are participating in the programs offered, are challenging themselves to grow.
Growth can be uncomfortable, and sometimes can be downright scary, but it's what we are here on this earth, in this physical presence, to do.
My mother used to cut my hair when I was a pre-teen. Once while cutting the hair on the back of my head with electric clippers, my Dad came up behind her unannounced and scared her. The clippers shot up the back of my head taking a big swath of hair right out of the middle. I was mortified. She evened it up as best she could, and told me it would be fine because it will grow back. I didn't want to go to school the next day because being in anyway different than everyone else at that age was like painting a bull's-eye on your back. I survived, and it did grow back. We still laugh about my three stooges bowl cut. Don't be afraid of being pruned or expanding your understanding and relationships. There is peace there, and no matter how dreadful getting outside of your comfort zone may be, it will grow back.
All through the old and new testament there are references to vineyards, and cycles of growth because the agrarian society of the time could closely relate to those cycles of life. Where are you in the process? Are you moving, or are you spiritually stale? Do you need water, fertilizer, pruning, or are you bearing fruit?
Bear fruit, grow, be pruned, and bear fruit.
In John, Jesus reminds us of how important it is to stay connected, and once again, promises us that He will always be faithful.
"Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."
~John 15:4
~John 15:4
No comments:
Post a Comment