"Pride and Prejudice"
Henri Nouwen talks about moving from hostility to hospitality as a tenant of spiritual development.
Taking an honest assessment of my reactions in every day situations uncovered some ugly truths about me, that I really did not appreciate. I found myself quite offended by me.
Like many of you, I think of myself as a "nice person", and most of the time can at least muster a smile, and emote in a pleasant manner, friendly at pretty much any time, whether I'm really feeling it or not. Digging deeper into why I react, or feel the way I do in different situations, and understanding where those feelings come from, has helped me to truly be more open and hospitable at all times. Once again, our friend FEAR, was the root of my negative prejudices. F.E.A.R. Forget. Everything. And. Run. Or hide, or act unapproachable.
One of the most important things in the New Testament, and contained in three of the gospel writings is the conversation about "The most important law"
Luke 10:27-28 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself" “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
How do you react when you see someone different than you. Race, Gender, Political affiliation, Religion, Nationality, Poor, Homeless? Does FEAR rule your heart? Or are you coming from love?
No comments:
Post a Comment