"Connections"
Dr. Long often uses the phrase family of faith to describe St. Luke's. I have always considered "the church" to be an inclusive group of all of those that follow Christ. I was speaking with a friend last week about our first experiences at St. Luke's. They are considering becoming a member of our family of faith, so I shared my first impressions of St. Luke's. I remember walking in the door, receiving immediate eye contact, and a welcoming smile from several of the folks in the Narthex. I had visited several churches in Oklahoma City, and the openly friendly reception from St. Luke’s was a new experience. After becoming a member, subsequently joining the staff as singles director, then continuing as a candidate for ordination, I found that the goal set forth from the executive team at St. Luke's is to be aggressively friendly. Perhaps that is why I felt "at home" when I first visited St. Luke's.
I recently read a dear friend of mines writings about being open, and sharing God's love. She used the example of a child that she provides care for on a regular basis. The child’s attitude when meeting other children that she has not met previously, is one of open love and no prejudice from her limited past experience. The child approaches the other children with a greeting of "Hello Friend"!!! How wonderful would it be if everyone had the same level of hospitality in all of their daily contacts with other people, both familiar and not familiar? Not always literally saying "Hello Friend", but having an open heart, and mind free of prejudice and fear of the unknown. THAT to me is sharing God's love.
In order to share something you must have a connection to, and experience of, that “something” before you can pass it on to others. St. Luke's gives me that connection to God's love. Early this Sunday morning I lost another family member, and while processing this new reality, the only thing I was sure of, was that I needed to go to church to get loved on by my family of faith. I went to church, a little late, and a little "out of whack", and I was loved on every time I stood still for a moment. I did not share with many what had happened, because I did not have a good handle on my grief at that point in time, but it didn't matter, I was still loved on. To me, THAT is the perfect example modeling your life after Christ. Always coming from love, always sharing yourself and the love God has in abundance. What a great collection of people God brought together at St. Luke's. I've been blessed so many times by my family of faith.
Are you searching? Are you ready to make a change? We are here to help.
Rev. Sharen Hale is the pastor of St. Lukes connections ministry.
Her focus is to make sure that everyone is availed the opportunity to "plug in" to the areas for which they are searching. Whether you need to be loved on, or to find someplace to share your love, talents or passion, or if you are in a place where you just want to be, Rev. Hale can help.
Next Saturday April 28th, we will be heading over to help our friends at Christ UMC to assist with their mission activities.
Details coming next week!!
Don't forget, each Sunday at 10:50, Singles Harmony Bible study meets in room 208 for a discussion surrounding the scripture chosen for each week's sermon.
Peace and Grace!
Scott
No comments:
Post a Comment