Sunday, April 29, 2012

Thought for the Week of April 30, 2012

This Saturday, an older man using a walker approached me at the gas station. He asked if I could spare 4 dollars for bus fare. I told him no but, I would be glad to give him a ride. He asked if I would mind stopping by the KFC on the way to get some chicken to take home to his sister, and daughter who were staying with him. I had to be somewhere at 2, and it was a little after 1, so I thought.. hey.. sure why not. We loaded up his walker, and headed for the KFC. He said he'd be right back, and went in to the kfc. I sat for a minute, and then decided I should probably go in as well. He had ordered a bucket of chicken, which is all the money he had, so I told him to order what he wanted, and I'd take care of it. When we got to his apartment on the other side of town, he pointed out a guy that was lurking over in the corner of the parking lot. He said  "See that guy over there, he's really down on his luck and homeless. I got some of the extra food for him, because he's not right in the head because of the Gulf War, he can't pay for his medicine, and doesn't eat often." 

He said he needed money to keep his lights on, and I referred him to a number he can call for public assistance. His story was long and sad, but very believable. Apparently, he had been well employed until an appendicitis surgery went wrong. He ended up sicker, and then had a stroke, while recovering he had a heart attack. Lost his job, and health coverage, and is depending on public assistance for his medical needs. All of this, and he was still giving charity to someone less fortunate than he was.



What I got from this, is no matter where you are in life, you can help someone, if you are open to the opportunities that God puts in front of you. 


Love one another, all the laws hinge on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment