Down time.
My Son's first song to be publicly released by a record label is called "Down Time" The bridge of the song says, "all I really need is some down time". I remember the day he wrote that song, and it was very fitting then, as it is today. Life demands as much attention as we can give, and sometimes more. I've struggled through the years balancing all of the things I need to do, all of the things I want to do, with all of the things I HAVE to do. Sometimes taking time for myself is what gets sacrificed, which is not a good thing. I have to be intentional about scheduling time for prayer and mediation each morning before I leave the house for work. Doing so means that I must get up 30 minutes earlier but it is so worth the time I spend, to find my center each day.
Someone asked me last week why my life was so funny. I explained that I did not think my life was any funnier than anyone else's, it is just that I have learned to choose to laugh at things that others might see as less than humorous, or even tragic. I come by it honestly however. I vividly remember standing with a crowd of people in front of the ranch house when I was 12. The conversation among the friends and family was muted, as we stood there, in fact it was oddly quiet for my bunch. Some were crying, and some were making nervous quiet conversation as we watched our home burn to the ground. My Dad, spoke up and said. "Who brought the wieners and buns for this wiener roast?" I never will forget how everyone laughed at his joke, and were amazed that even during this tragedy, he wanted to ease the pain of others through humor. I learned an important lesson that day about possessions and priorities and how they should or should not affect your life. There were real treasures in that house that had been passed from generation to generation, antiques from before the turn of the century, musical instruments that had belonged to long since past war heroes in the family, and a collection of guns that people still speak of today. Things that could not be replaced. We were all alive, and that was all important.
Granddad always said to think about "who's going to care in 100 years?" How you treat your friends and family, and the people in your circle of influence is much more important than getting "things" done, or doing things to get more things. I have learned that trying to fit everything in that needs to be done, should always take a lower priority to seeing everyone that needs to be seen. Relationships and memories of those relationships are the only things that last.
How are you finding your balance? What takes priority in your life? Do you choose to do "something" important, rather than be with someone which to you should be important? Do you have something you need to let go of in relation to someone from your past? Do you spend all of your time doing things to avoid the things that really matter in life? Of that, I must confess, I am guilty. People ask why I am still single, and my answer for years has been. "I'm too busy for a relationship." eh.. maybe not so much.
Are you building the memories and relationships you will enjoy when memories are the majority of your focus each day? Where are your priorities? How's that working for you?
Make someone's day this week. Thank them for being.
WNA two weeks left for classes. Supper at 5:15, with class at 6:30-7:30 My group will be discussing the final four chapters of the book "The Five Love Languages"
Singles Harmony Bible Study at 10:50 Sunday morning in room 208. We've got a good group started, come join us for discussions of gratitude, and the weekly scripture lesson.
Grace and Peace!!!
Scott
No comments:
Post a Comment