"Choices"
The small choices we make, around what may seem to be little things, can make a huge difference in life.
I once read that: "we are what we have been becoming."
God's word is pretty clear in that we "reap what we sew".
As a young man, I did not realize that some of the choices I was making at that time would still be effecting my life in middle age.
I have had the opportunity to reflect on decisions made in my younger days, in hopes of gaining a better understanding of some of my relationships with younger people. Relating honestly to those in my "circle of influence", without prejudice, and with compassion, always requires an open and loving spirit. To get to that point, I must deal with my baggage, choices/results, and experiences. I must understand that I may still be carrying residual effects surrounding particular events and situations in my life, which may be similar to the situation at hand. As we all do, I have the privilege to "re-present" Christ, and I do not want to get it wrong. Honest self assessment is crucial to the process of growing emotionally and spiritually. Do I always get it right? Nope, but .. That is where I see God's grace in my life more often than not.
Being more thoughtful and introspective as I approach my physical life's' terminal date, I think my decision making process has vastly improved over what it was as a young man. In the bad ole days, carnal drives, egocentric concerns, and selfish needs were the overwhelming factor in a lot of the decisions I made. I equate those decisions now as lasting as long as a physical tattoo, but as an emotional/spiritual tattoo. Tattoo's can be removed, but it takes some work, and a Master tattoo remover.
Surrendering to do the will of God has really simplified the choices I am faced with at this point in my life. A new rubric, process, or set of standards has simplified decision making for me related to choices for my life. Perfection? Not even close, but I am pointed in the right direction.
Everyone has there own set of rules, filters, or a checklist used for decision making. How much power to you give to your fear?
Where is God in your decision process? Do you also have some bad choices in your past, that still have a negative impact on your life? Are you growing emotionally and spiritually? Have you forgiven yourself?
"Everyone has issues, everyone has baggage" is something that I have heard over and over again as a single person active in the dating pool. My question is, what actions, or plans are in place to address those issues/baggage?
Tomorrow night the Rebuilders group begins at St. Luke's. I went through this program hoping to learn why I was afraid to get into another relationship. I found the answer, and took appropriate steps to resolve my fears.
Wednesday, February 22nd, from 6:45 to 9 pm in room 205 at St. Luke's United Methodist Church.
When a relationship ends it can be very difficult. The class is based on the book "Rebuilding After Your Relationship Ends" by Dr. Bruce Fisher, and is taught by Steve deQuevedo, a licensed counselor, mediator and national trainer in conflict resolution. He has many years of experience in helping people understand blocks that stand in the way of loving, fulfilling relationships.
Registration is available online at stlukesokc.org or by calling the church office at 232-1371. Childcare is available upon request.
Looking for suggestions for Singles Harmony Bible study. I am looking at "Feasting on the Word" series.
Also, looking for suggestions for the Fall Wednesday Night Alive relationship class.
I am thinking of leading a group on the book "Boundaries" or the follow up "Beyond Boundaries" The books are about healing past relationships, and moving on into a healthier state of being. Let me know in which you would have the most interest. The WNA group will, once again, be open to everyone regardless of relationship status.
Rev. Scott Raines
Pastor of Singles Ministry
St. Luke's UMC
222 NW 15th St.
Oklahoma City, OK 73103
Church 405-609-1009 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 405-609-1009 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Cell 512-554-1661 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 512-554-1661 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
sraines@stlukesokc.org
No comments:
Post a Comment