"Life Well Lived"
As I get older, time seems to move faster. When I was a little guy, it seemed that Christmas took FOREVER to come around. Now the family celebrations seem to be clicking by way too fast.
One of the unfortunate things about aging, is the increased frequency of friends and family that pass on to the next plane of existence.
This past week, a guy that I went to high school with, and only a few years older than I, died suddenly from either a heart ailment, or a heat stroke. Another old friend from my home town, was diagnosed with cancer, and was told he has four weeks to live. Last month, a dear friend and fellow pastor, was told she had stage IV kidney cancer. Last year starting last week I lost four family members. Uncle Carl, my Grandmother Lahoma, my Aunt Winona, then my Brother-in-law Marty Reece.
Mr. Hess, whom received the prognosis of advanced cancer this past week was one of the adults that had a positive influence on my life as a young man growing up in McLean, Texas. I grew up on a cattle ranch, and had worked with the adults since I was old enough to ride a horse. As I got older, I grew restless in my jobs at the ranch, and wanted to work for someone other than family. Mr. Hess was good enough to give me a job at his family farm and ranch operation. I learned that work was still work and best efforts were still expected, but that kindness was still kindness. Jakey, as he was called by his contemporaries, was always helping people out with money, or a job, or some food, and a lot of times he was never paid what he was owed, but he never stopped giving to those in need. I had the opportunity to have a great conversation with Mr. Hess a couple of years ago when my Dad had some medical challenges. Jakey was in one of the first classes that my mother taught in McLean, and through some rough times for both of our families Jakey and my parents always maintained a respectful and special friendship. I was at my mothers house working in her yard one weekend, and Jakey drove by, and took time to stop and talk for a few minutes. We chatted about this and that, then he told me how much he cared for my dad, and mom, and how he had always had great affection for them both. I took the chance to remind him that he was very kind to me when I was a teenage boy, struggling to find my identity, and how he helped in that process. It was one of those rare occasions where God allowed us the time and space to say the important things that so often go unsaid.
God rest your soul Jake Hess II. You were loved by many, and will be sorely missed in my home town.
No comments:
Post a Comment