WOW!!!!!!!!!
Where else in the world can there be a flood warning, a tornado warning, and an earthquake all in the same day??? Is someone trying to tell us something? Sounds like Old Testament times..... I'm waiting for the Spring.. if there is a cloud of locusts coming over the horizon, THEN I will begin to worry.
In the last few months I've had the opportunity to dig into the Old Testament more than I ever have. I absolutely love the good news of the New Testament, and always held the perspective that the OT was negative, full of fear, blood, war, sex, revenge, magic, monsters, supermen, punishment, getting even, etc etc.. you know.. kind of like a best selling movie or novel would be in today's culture. What I have learned is that the OT is also packed with examples of God's grace, and repeated instances of the Creators unchanging love for us.
I highly recommend "Reading the Bible Again, for the First Time" by Marcus J. Borg (also: "Saving Jesus from the Church" by Borg)
In the last few weeks my family has been through some extremely trying times with accidents, sickness and death. During times like these it always amazes me the amount of compassion, selflessness, and faith that goes on display. Growing up, I thought all families were that way, since through the house fires, murders, unexpected accidental deaths, divorce, business failures, and suicides, we stuck together and ministered to each others needs. The character of the family hasn't changed one bit, and I know now how lucky I am to be so blessed with such a wonderful group of people, and know that not everyone has that kind of support system.
It does give me pause when I think about those who have chosen to take a different path when faced with adversity. It reminds me of the counselors joke about how many therapists does it take to change a light bulb? One, but the light bulb has to want to change.
It's true, sadly, that some people get comfortable wallowing in their pain. I can understand that. Change is scary, and being negative, or cynical is a sure way to prevent disappointment and more hurt.
Like most everything in life, it's a choice, and can become a habit, which can become a character trait. Everything is temporary, good and bad. We create our reality. WE make the choices that dictate how we handle the things that life throws our way.
Are you open to God's grace? Do you look for YOUR signs from the Creator? Where do you fix your eyes?? On the negative, or on the positive possibilities.
In this day and age, there are not a lot of things that are absolutely certain. The only thing I know without a doubt, is that God loves me totally and completely. No matter how bad I mess things up, God is there with open arms to provide me with the abundant, pure, perfect love that has no end. The other thing I know for sure without a doubt, is that God loves you that much as well. If you have lost hope, there are a bunch of loving people in our family of faith that can help you find your way back. You just have to let me or someone else know. Community and family. You are loved, and you belong. :-)
Romans 8:39
"...neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
THIS WEEK:
Al's dance is going on this Saturday at St. Charles Boromeo on NW 50th. Veterans Day Celebration.
www.serendipittysingles.org for details!!! These are always a lot of fun, and very friendly. For all of you new people, this is a great way to get to know other Christian singles in the city.
Mission Outreach: Christ UMC has a need for clothing donations. Contact Rev. Linda Truitt for more information by email at lindatruitt73013@yahoo.com
Chile'- VIM mission to Chile' March 20- 30th 2012 This is a multi needs mission which will include Vacation Bible School, construction, Medical, Dental, and Veterinarian projects.
If you know of any MD's, DVM's, nurses, or teachers that might be interested in going, please let me know.
Airline reservations are due to the team leader by Dec. 1rst ($200)
The total mission cost will be around $2000, and will include everything. We will be staying in a fairly modern facility with running water and electricity.
Let me know if you have questions.
Blessings!!
Scott
Rev. Scott Raines
Pastor of Singles Ministry
St. Luke's UMC
222 NW 15th St.
Oklahoma City, OK 73103
Church 405-609-1009 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 405-609-1009 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Cell 512-554-1661 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 512-554-1661 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
sraines@stlukesokc.org
Susan Koopman
Singles Missions/Outreach Coordinator
Cell 405-202-9909 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 405-202-9909 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
No comments:
Post a Comment